Winter Activity

puzzle in progress
December 2017
My love for jigsaw puzzles started at an early age. Every winter, my Mom pulled out the card table and placed it in front of the drafty door in the living room. Covering the table were puzzles with colorful images from around the world. Sometimes, the puzzles had been assembled one, two, or three years earlier: some had pieces missing, but we still enjoyed working on them.

Winter and puzzles go well together.

I enjoy the challenge of puzzles, especially ones that purposefully provide a twist. Impossibles are puzzles that have no edge pieces, and they also include five extra puzzle pieces. Usually, I begin a puzzle by turning all the pieces face up and separate the straight-edged pieces to build the frame.

With Impossibles by Bepuzzled, my strategy has to change, and I begin with color and build from there. Luckily the photo on the box of Roses Are Red . . . matched the puzzle (often times with Impossibles it doesn't) Roses are Red . . is the third Impossible that I've tackled. A 2010 post, Is It Possible?, shows the varying level of difficulties these puzzles provide.

completed puzzle
December 2017
Have you ever worked on a Bepuzzled Impossibles puzzle?

Comments

  1. I've never even heard of them! We will often work on jigsaw puzzles during the winter...but it is very easy to lose hours that way - lol. Last year Colin gave us a jigsaw puzzle he had made from a photo of Tyg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just learned something! Bepuzzled Impossibles sound like quite a challenge. I had never heard of puzzles that had extra pieces, or pictures that didn't match the puzzle. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done one of these, but since my strategy has always been the same as yours - it would be a big challenge. I have a new puzzle sitting around right now but probably won't open the box until after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't tried one of those. The hardest one we ever did was Hershey candy. There were several of the same candies so matching by color didn't mean those pieces went TOGETHER. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No I have not. My family loves puzzles, but the cats are not good about it. They want to help! I may put on upstairs where they are not allowed while the kids are home this Christmas. THANKS For a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do enjoy jigsaw puzzles. I am not sure how I feel about the no edge piece concept. I think I do not do them enough to feel the need for this "extra" challenge, Nancy! But I do have wonderful memories doing puzzles with my mother and family. We worked so hard once on this ice cream one. I remember diligently helping her sort the "flavors" into different piles. Oooo I want to work a puzzle now. No, must knit, bake and clean first ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like doing puzzles but I don't know if I would tackle one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents will be here in two weeks-Mom and I love doing a puzzle; great idea for us, too! That does look like a tough one but will last you for a bit and that is a good thing! Winter is long....

    ReplyDelete
  9. No I have not tried that kind of puzzle. Looks like a serious challenge! We love working on puzzles! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.