Virtual Advent Tour - Seeking the Light

It’s Day 21 of Sprite Write’s Virtual Advent Tour where bloggers from around the world share traditions they enjoy during the holiday season. 
Advent wreath
An Advent wreath sits in the center of my kitchen table from the end of November through the Epiphany which is Saturday, January 6, 2018.  The candles on the wreath symbolize the four weeks before Christmas - a time of preparation and anticipation.

The first week of Advent, I read my morning devotion in the light of one candle. Now (the third week of Advent), my table is aglow with three candles. The third candle is pink (symbolizing "Joy" ), and the other candles are purple or blue. In the center of the wreath is a white pillar candle that will be lit on Christmas day. 

I add the figurines when I first light that week's candle. You can see that the base to the right of the shepherd is missing the figurines of the Holy family. 


The Holy family figurines are on the display on the sofa table and will be moved to the Advent wreath on Sunday, December 24, 2017, the beginning of the fourth Sunday of Advent.

ceramic nativity
a gift from my niece Brenda - approximately 1977

Sometimes, I ponder how the angels appeared to the shepherds in the fields to relay the news of the birth of our Savior. After observing the total solar eclipse this summer and seeing a tiny bit of God's phenomenal power, I can almost put myself there on the hillside when the angels appeared or with the Magi as they followed the star to Bethlehem.

close up of Creche
Advent is a time of anticipation and celebration - a time of light and a time of seeking light. 

In the words of Pastor Anne Roser, "May the candles, the tree lights, the sunrise, the glowing embers of woodstoves and fireplaces, the light of the moon and the stars, streetlights, headlights, and all that reveals and shines out of the darkness remind you of the gift that comes in Jesus Christ, the light of the world. Receive and cherish this light, for it is God’s astonishing gift to you of forgiveness, mercy, and peace."



Comments

  1. What a beautiful tradition and remembrance. Love all the nativity scenes and like you I am thankful for our most precious gift of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your Nativity scenes are beautiful! Peace and joy to you during Christmas as we celebrate the best gift of all our Lord and Savior! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, you have NO idea how much I enjoyed this post. I read it over and over. Dennis and I are lighting our candles together in the evenings while we read passages about living for Him. Your nativities are beautiful and what a beautiful thought about “light” at the end. Thank you so much for this wonderful start to my day.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Pastors words. I will share them with my two friends who just lost a brother and a mother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely read! I didn't get my nativity scene out this year and now I'm kind of missing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. His light needs to shine brighter than all of our decorations!
    This was a very uplifting post, thank you!
    Nice to see all of your memory filled nativities and candles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Nancy for the beautiful words and pictures! I truly needed them after the two weeks our family has been through. I needed to be reminded of the love and peace and comfort of the season, and that there is no darkness where the light of Jesus shines!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.