Yarn Bras/Sleeves

Razzle Dazzle socks
yarn sleeves or yarn bra made from bath puff
October 2017
One of the items Betsy included in the Anything but Yarn swap were net "sleeves" for yarn cakes. I loved them so much that I wanted to purchase more - easier said than done.

Marilyn and I stopped in several yarn shops in the Denver area as well as Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's, and Michaels and looked for the netting. We fell short, time after time. Finally, the clerk in Colorful Yarn suggested I purchase a bath puff at the dollar store. Hmmm, why didn't I think of that!

The puffs are quite crinkly after the cord holding them together like a pom pom is cut. I remedied that by soaking the netting in boiling water, and the netting relaxed. The netting can be cut to any length. I cut some about seven inches long (allowing enough for the knot), tied a knot in one end and slipped my yarn inside. I discovered the smaller bath puffs work the best, but they are still a bit loose for a wound cake of sock yarn.

I purchased two small puffs for a dollar, so the price of these yarn bras/sleeves is minimal.

The process of turning a bath puff into a yarn bra is explained here

Jimmy Beans Wool has a product that they are marketing as Yarn Bras, but I personally wouldn't recommend ordering the product for yarn sleeves, as the Spool Stockings are only three inches long. The product was originally designed for spools of thread and embroidery floss.

I discovered that Superior Thread sells a similar product (six inches long) for a good price: they are called Handy Nets. While this product was also designed for spools of thread, they work for cakes of sock yarn. I prefer these nets to the bath puffs because they are not as wide, and thus, hold the yarn tighter.


Comments

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum... I think JoAnn's sells a product in the quilting supplies area -- specifically for long arm quilters. The netting is in one continues length and you cut it to the size desired. I got some as a prize at some point. Just opened it recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea and such a funny name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THrilled to see the ANything but Yarn swap gave you something new to try and love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I'm so glad that you like them so much! I love mine. I don't remember where I got them though. I'm going to have to look around and see if I can find more.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - These are such a clever idea and love the name. Those socks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a clever idea, especially for a messy person like myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I am 12 because I'm still giggling about yarn bras! You're so creative and inventive? (is that the right word?). Your DIY method is fantastic. My friend got me some yarn bras made out of like tights material. I can't find them now of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why didn't someone think of this years ago! Great way to keep those balls of wool under control.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I save the netting that oranges and tangerines come in...you could cut and stitch it together what ever size you wanted:) I am not sure why I save them, I think once upon a time I was going to crochet some scrubbies:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.