Snow Fence

Windward side of wood snow fence
near Casper, WY
September 2015
It's no secret that the wind blows and even howls sometimes in Wyoming, especially in the Winter. When there is snow on the ground (even minute bits) it blows and drifts across roads, causing hazardous driving conditions.

wooden snow fence near Casper, WY
September 2015
In an attempt to control the drifting snow, the highway department places snow fences in those areas. Sometimes the fences run for miles and in other places they can be parallel to each other. The snow passes through the fence and forms a huge drift on the leeward side of the fence.
Aluminum snow fence on South Pass
note the rows of fencing in this high wind area
September 2015
In the past, most snow fences were made of wood, but now, many are aluminum. One area of South Pass has a unique rock snow fence. I can't imagine the effort that it took to build that fence.

Along Interstate 25 in southeast Wyoming north of Chugwater and north of Cheyenne, the highway department, several years ago, planted trees near the wooden and aluminum snow fences. As the trees grew the regular fencing was removed and now the trees act as a "natural" snow fence.
Rock snow fence
South Pass
September 2015

Snow fences are useful and necessary during a windy Wyoming winter.

Comments

  1. I like the look of a natural snow fence, like the rock one pictured and the trees you mentioned, but it's probably not practical in most places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was all new to me...being that I live in an area with no snow:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rock fence is new to me but I've seen the wood and metal ones. South Dakota needs them too. I think we would miss the wind if we moved somewhere that it didn't blow. Or maybe not . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rock fences are beautiful. Wyoming is beautiful! I love seeing snow fences go up and knowing the snow is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a tree snow fence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good pictures of our wonderful snow fences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrrr.....makes me cold just to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did see a lot of those fences on our trip. I love the rock fence it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.