On and Off My Needles

Steppe Vest
reclaimed wool yarn
March 2015

The yarn for this vest was reclaimed several years ago from a thrift shop sweater, and I have enough yarn remaining to knit another vest.

Pattern:
•  Original Steppe Sweater (vest directions at the bottom of the pattern) - this link gives specific sizes and stitch counts

Steppe Ahead Sweater (vest directions at the bottom of the pattern) - this link is for the revised pattern, written with percentages rather than specific stitch counts

Size: Large (cast on 100 stitches)

Yarn: Reclaimed from thrift shop sweater  (70% wool 30% acrylic), knit double stranded - the finished vest weighs 6.9 ounces

Needles: Knit Picks interchangeable (size 10.5 for ribbing, size 11 for body)

Steppe Vest - off the needles
6.9 ounces of yarn used
Size: Large

Have you ever reclaimed yarn from a previous garment?

Comments

  1. I haven't reclaimed yarn, but I think it is a great idea. The vest turned out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I don't think I have seen anything that looked like it would be worth the time for but your vests look great so maybe I don't have a trained eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very cute pattern for a vest! Great job! I love it that you reclaimed the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is cute...mom use to always reclaim wool!! Again and again:)....My parents were the best recyclers..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did try to reclaim yarn once but it was not "healthy" yarn and the project didn't work out. I would try it again though!

    I love your vest. I need to make one for our little G-grandson but I have a line-up of baby projects that might take me the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried, but never been successful.

    Love that little vest. The neckline is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.