Back in Time - Tragedy

John S., Nils G., Jerry S., Rich S. and Nancy S.
date unknown
This is the only photo that I can find of me and my three brothers.

 John, the oldest, was 20 years my senior, followed by Rich, and then Jerry. I do not have any memories of Jerry since he died when I was four years old. I vaguely remember when someone came to the house after the accident to inform my parents.

In October 1955, Jerry went to an FFA meeting or judging competition in Lander, and for some reason the group was transported in private vehicles rather than a school bus. On the way home, the car that Jerry was riding in missed a curve on the Ethete Road, and he was ejected.

Nils (standing by the heater) lived on a neighboring farm and visited frequently.



Comments

  1. That is a tragedy Nancy, so young to have lost his life. I'm sorry you don't have any memories of him but I totally understand, our youngest was 4 when our oldest went off to college and she too has no memories of him living at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad for your family. In 1955 - no seat belts to help protect us in cars. This picture is very special since you are all in it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine you're pretty happy to at least have this picture of you with your three brothers. What an age span between the four of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry Nancy. It must have been terrible for your parents.
    I did enjoy the old photo that wallpaper is something else:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing is worse than losing a child or sibling!! I have first hand experience with that. It is sad that you have no memories of Jerry! The wonderful memories of our Carrie are very precious to her brothers and sister. My heart aches for any family that has lost a child!! I'm so sorry for your loss Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture of you and your big brothers.... Sorry about your brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry that you lost your brother. I can't imagine the pain it caused your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a very difficult time that must've been for your family. My husband's brother died when he was 18. It changed the family forever in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very sad for you all Nancy. My husband lost his brother early and he misses him to this day

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a very tragic story, Nancy, one that must have affected everyone involved very deeply. My dad's four year old brother died of appendicitis, and I don't think my grandmother ever recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry for your loss, and that you have no memories of your brother. My grandmother died when I was four, and I do have vague memories of her, but it seems I remember a lot more from my early childhood than most...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.