Back in Time - Freda

Freda and Terry S.
approx. 1980
Freda was a Red Angus and Holstein cross and was the first born on the farm. She was named after Fred, a redheaded young man, who worked for my mother and brother. Freda became one of my mother's favorite bucket babies, and she continued to seek attention as she grew.

My nephew Terry (shown in the photo) is a dare devil and will try practically anything. Since Freda was so docile, he thought he could sit on her back, and he did many times. The day I was there to take photos, he had just finished his irrigating duties, which is why he is still wearing his irrigation boots.

Terry and Freda


Comments

  1. Maybe that's how the sport of bull riding began. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to do that too...but a cow has such a bony back it is not as much fun as a horse! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...what fun pictures. I'm not sure we've got any cattle that docile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Freda ....I'm not sure she was down with all that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like she's thinking, "Whatever...."

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cute picture. I've never seen that kind of boots before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute picture. We have a similar one of my husband (as a kid) riding a cow named Snowball. Fun memories for all I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Freda was a jewel! We have some cows in the field behind our house that I would not attempt to sit on. I do pat a nose or two as they walk by though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always find the most fascinating things to tell us about Nancy. I wish I grew up on a farm….but I think I romanticize
    it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Freda was named after a red headed Fred. Freda, best name for a cow (but I do like it for a person as well).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, especially since we had a red-to-lemon and white basset named Fred and as of last night, my hair is a "warm brown" that is rather red.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.