Foreign Friday

Misawa AFB
Misawa, Japan
January 1981

This man struggled to clear the walks just outside of my BOQ. All of this snow is the aftermath of one all-night storm.

Once the walks were cleared, it was business as usual. 


Nancy Stearns
Misawa AFB
Misawa, Japan
1981
My BOQ was fairly close to the school, and some days it was easier to walk than dig the car out of a snow bank.

One major difference I noticed was the snow in Japan did not squeak underfoot like that in Wyoming. This was probably because, unlike Wyoming, the temperatures were not sharp or bitter cold: the cold in Japan was damp and chilled to the bone no matter how many layers were worn.

Misawa is located on the northern edge of the main island (Honshu) of Japan. Storms consistently dropped more snow on the island to the north (Hokkaido) where the Sapporo Snow Festival was held every year. Snow sculptures can be seen on these posts.

Comments

  1. The snow must have made you feel right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat!! Sounds rather like VA snow. I get excited when we get a nice DRY snow like what I experienced in upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never really thought about Japan getting that much snow.

    Your photos are beautiful.

    Makes this northern transplant feel "right at home".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Japan always get snow? I didn't know they ever got snow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my uncle was in the army he broke his leg skiing...so I did know that it snowed in Japan. Nice photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always surprised to see the amount of snow that falls in Japan. I just don't connect the two! It is beautiful snow. Is it me or is it whiter than US snow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love snow festivals!!! I am glad you left us the link to the images!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.