Windows of Faith

I've admired the windows in my church for years and decided to share them with my readers on Sunday. Each Sunday I will feature two stained-glass windows along with an explanation of each window. Previous windows can be viewed by typing "Windows of Faith" in the search box in the top left corner.

Cross in Eternity 
and Fish

The symbol of the cross and circle, also known as the Cross in Eternity, depicts the suffering and the death of the Lord Jesus Christ for the sins of the world. The circle symbolizes eternity since its circumference is an endless line. The cross in eternity gives the concept of the completeness and the everlasting nature of Christ's work and Kingdom.

The cross is always a reminder of our Lord's saving work of redeeming mankind through His sacrifice for our sins, thereby bringing forgiveness and salvation.

The fish is one of the earliest and most complex symbols employed by Christians to represent the Savior. Reading the initial of the Greek acrostic phrase meaning "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior," one obtains the Greek work for "fish," Ichthus.

The fish symbol was probably used by the persecuted Christians as a means of avoiding unpleasant attention of the Roman police. The symbol of the fish is one of the most widely used symbols depicting the Lord Jesus Christ and the Christian belief that He is indeed the Son of God and Savior of the world.

Comments

  1. HI Nancy!! I love getting a glimpse of these windows...so gorgeous! Thank you for posting them!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.