Beauty Perceived

You cannot perceive beauty, but with a serene mind.
~ Henry David Thoreau


I never tire of looking at this stained glass window above the altar in my church. I try to arrive about 30 minutes before the scheduled service just so I can sit in solitude to pray and to look at the window. This time of meditation fills me with a sense of peace.

Over the years, I have tried to take a decent photo of the window, but the automatic flash on my camera washed out the window and its luscious colors. When I discovered that my new camera has the option to turn off the flash, I knew I had to try photographing the window one more time.

Some mornings, my heart actually aches from the window's beauty when the sunlight enhances different parts. Specifically, the clouds and mountains take on distinct moods at different times and at different seasons or when the clouds outside throw a shadow on the window.

Sitting in the silence, I am saddened when another member of the congregation arrives and turns on the overhead lights. As if on cue, the sanctuary fills with chatter, ending my solitude for another week.

Comments

  1. Wow! That is gorgeous!! Thank you for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful picture of our Good Shepherd.I can see why you love to pray while viewing it.
    Blessings, Sarita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy for you that you were finally able to photograph your window. And a lovely window it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.