Shoebox Blessing

If your church wants a way to reach out to those less fortunate at Christmas, this may be the solution. (I cannot take credit for this idea, as the program was introduced to my congregation on Sunday.)

Step One:

It starts with a pair of slippers. . . On a table in the narthex were piles of slippers, all different sizes from infant to adult. Those who wanted to participate were asked to select a pair of slippers. (The slippers were purchased from money donated to this program.)



Step Two:

Purchase the following in a size that corresponds to the slippers selected:

Socks


Hat, mittens, or gloves



I decided to purchase these items, but I could just as easily knit them.

Step Three:

Add other items to personalize the gift. Miscellaneous personal hygiene products, word puzzles, coloring books, healthy snakcs (low sugar), etc.

(I added a toothbrush and toothpaste, dinosaur coloring book, dinosaur magnetic book, two dinosaurs, crayons, pencils, and pencil box.)


Step Four:

Put the items in a shoe box, mark the outside with the size of the slippers and the gender Bring the box and items back to the church for the Youth to wrap and distribute to the Wind River Lutheran Mission. The coordinator said the church will add a book of the Christmas Story since the boxes will be going mostly to those without a church home.



These simple items in a box may be the only gift this child receives this Christmas.

Comments

  1. Neat idea..Nancy:))

    Yes there are so many less fortunate out there...I am not banking but there is always some out there in worse shape than ourselves..

    Good for you:))

    Hugs,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of shoebox blessings before, but never quite knew how it worked. This is an awesome idea, and reminds me it's not too early to start thinking about what charitable gifts I can give this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this idea. I've been shopping the bargain sites all year for my grandchildren. Now, I believe I will start for others. Our church has a Christmas tree with ornaments that have the gender and age of a foster child. We take the ornament, go shopping and return a package with the ornament attached.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've done the Operation Christmas Child boxes before, a similar idea. I really like this though, how you start with slippers that you select. A very nice box, indeed. Some little boy will be very happy to receive this box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely idea, especially now...
    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea!! Bet you had fun putting this box together to suit the slippers too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments!

If you are going to ask a question make sure you have your profile set to allow me to respond back by email or email me directly - my address is in upper right hand column.